This is the Reference section, and it applies to all platforms for which this version of POV-Ray has been ported. The platform-specific documentation is available in a separate section.
Excluding this introduction, the reference section is divided into seven main parts.
- The Command-line Options section for controlling and configuring POV-Ray.
- The Scene Description Language section for the programming rules and syntax used in POV-Ray.
- The Scene File Basics section that details the settings, camera and lighting types that are available.
- An Object Zoo section that covers built-in objects available for use in scene files.
- The Embellishments section discusses the textures and patterns that you'll need to make it look good.
- The Special Effects section is a grouping of atmospheric and media effects.
- The Scene File Extras section outlines the collection of include files.
New users may find it more convenient to begin with the Introduction to Pov-Ray or tutorial section, followed by the platform-specific documentation, in order to become more familiar your versions platform-specific features.
Additional notes about this documentation are as follows:
- Windows documentation is accessible using the POV-Ray program's Help menu or by pressing the F1 key.
- Mac OS documentation is also available via the Help menu and for viewing with a web browser.
- Unix/Linux documentation is available in html only and by default is typically found in
- See the section Notation and Basic Assumptions for more about the notation used throughout this documentation.