Please add suggestions that don't fit anywhere else here.
Personally I don't think it is a big deal. Most browsers remember your passwords if cookies aren't used to remember log-ins. I vote that resources be used in other needed areas than in a centralized login. Eddie 16:15, 10 November 2007 (UTC)
The Other Pages sidebar seems like it should have a link to the main POV-ray website, or if not there, there should be a link part of the template somewhere that is always available regardless of where you are in the wiki.
--Reactor 11:44, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
- I agree, the "Other Pages" section should have a link to the official POV-Ray Web site. The "Content" section needs a link to Documentation. Eddie 01:13, 30 December 2007 (UTC)
File uploads / supported file types
I had no trouble uploading some images, but when I tried to upload a scene file as .pov, I got the error message: "The file is corrupt or has an incorrect extension. Please check the file and upload again."
I tried uploading it as a .txt and giving it a .pov destination filename, but no luck. Is there an issue with uploading source at this time? --Reactor 02:04, 31 December 2007 (UTC)
- By default, a mediawiki will only allow the uploading of image and video files. The administrators will need to configure the wiki to allow the uploading of other file types. Eddie 14:54, 4 January 2008 (UTC)
Will there be pages that contain pov-objects or macros?
Hi! Will this wiki hold pages that contain the pov for objects or macros? For example I tried to create a page Chair_(Model). (Didn't work, btw.)
Or will that be strictly in the section lib.povray.org?
I hope this wiki will become as nice just like povray.org in general is. (And not like so many other wikis develop into. =) Greetings --D. Hansen 09:36, 4 January 2008 (UTC)
- A wiki is a communal effort. This wiki will only ever be as good as the POV-Ray community makes it.
Personally I don't see the need for a page about each object in the library, but you're welcome to create them if you wish. (Avoid special characters and punctuation, for the most part, in page titles.)
I think well documented macros will be very much welcomed in this wiki. I say go for it! :) Eddie 14:57, 4 January 2008 (UTC)
While noting the behavior differences of radiosity under version 3.6 to 3.7, it occurred to me that we should use a uniform way of identifying what version(s) of POV-ray and what platform the article applies to. While the vast majority of info will be helpful across many different combinations of versions and platforms, some info is fairly specific.
From my (admittedly basic) understanding of templates as used by wikis, one can place a tag specifying what the article applies to, which automagically enters it into a catagory of articles that also contain that tag. This is probably most useful for troubleshooting questions. Has anyone worked with this before? Does the POV-Wiki have this functionality?
--Reactor 21:59, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Yes the POV-Wiki supports templates. Check out this help page on Templates
--ash 09:28, 4 February 2009 (UTC)
separate the animation proccess to a few pc's
I managed to make exterior animation in Pov Ray, with all the cameras set in Dialux. But it took it so long to make this animation in Pov Ray - 3 days!!!
Now I now there is a section at the Pov Ray help named "18.104.22.168 How do I increase rendering speed?" and i read it all. Bust still i want to know this: how can i separate the animation proccess to a few pc's so that i could make the animation faster? I heard that this is possible. Can you tell me how can i do this?
Links by theme
Would it be worth the effort to sort the links collection by theme, kind of like the old and new POV-Ray Object Collections, and maybe upload some thumbnails of individual items? Would there be licensing issues WRT the images? SharkD 02:41, 30 June 2010 (UTC)
- I find the current category breakdown adequate. Chris Cason ask me to post the links collection from the main POV-Ray, so that we could easily edit, verify, and add to this collection. So the links collection on this Wiki is actually the source for that content. I noted that here. You may also notice the link I placed on the KB contents page to the Feature Requests page, I was hoping for something entirely different, but alas you chose to go in your own direction. As it stands that links collection on the main site doesn't support images, with no plans to do so (AFAIK), and will sort the links within each category by popularity. There is currently an effort underway to weed out dead links, and remove duplicates, so technically the two links that you recently added are duplicates, and one of the should be removed, however in the spirit of cooperation I going to let that slide. When we are finished with that effort, some scripting needs to be done to repopulate the links collection over on the main site with the contents of this Wiki. If you'd like to take a page and verify, that would be a more useful contribution. I've asked the people doing this to mark the talk page (associated with the page that they have checked) with a short message and signature/time stamp, so we can keep track of what's been done. Finally I'm asking politely, and would respectfully ask one more time (this is the third time now) that you try to use the preview button to verify your posts before committing them with the save. --jholsenback 11:55, 30 June 2010 (UTC)
I clicked Random Page about a dozen times and got the same three; yet there seems to be more content than that. Hm. —Tamfang 04:25, 14 September 2010 (UTC)
- Yes you are correct, it's not very random. This functionality came with the MediaWiki installation, so I just deleted it from the menu rather than spend the time to fix a not very useful feature. --jholsenback 11:31, 14 September 2010 (UTC)
Broken IRTC Link
This link for the Internet Ray Tracing Competition is broken. The main page there says something broke and won't likely be fixed anytime soon, but it does give a link to the older (2006 and before) content. Can someone update the link on the main page to point to http://www.irtc.org ? --Undrhil 19:09, 9 April 2012 (UTC)
- fixed it --jholsenback 19:24, 9 April 2012 (UTC)